Friday, March 18, 2005

The Blue Light Morphine Special

What would you pay for a shot of Morphine, the wonder drug? The super-pain killer that makes the hurt go away in an instant? The miracle worker which can turn that frown upside-down?

Would you pay $300? How about $150? What about $75?

Let me tell you that when you need it, you'd pay however much someone told you that it cost. I don't care if you didn't know where your next meal was coming from - you'd pay it and you'd be happy.

I just got the ER bill from last week, and the Morphine was only $22 per injection - I got 2 and it helped me relax enough to regain control of my breathing. Well, the Morphine and the Toradol ( anti-inflamatory, $18 ), bringing my total pharmacy bill to $62. I'm seeing a ton of high-priced meds cross my desk lately, and let me tell you that this is a bargin. I'm guessing it has something to do with the broad-scope ability of Morphine and it's mass production.

While we're on the topic of costs, I'll share a few numbers. Every chemo program is different, but mine costs between $1200 and $2000 per visit. My Surgery cost around $10K. CT ( or CAT ) scan or your chest costs around $2500. Chest X-Ray costs just under $300. EKG costs $200. The blood tests that you need every week cost around $100.

So all told, my Chemo program over 3 months will cost around $45K. Plus the costs of any perscription meds for nauseua and anxiety and whatever else comes up in the mix.

Keep in mind that my cancer is one of the most un-complicated cancers to treat, and also that there's a chance I'll have to have more than just the 3 month treatment, so this number can only grow.

My insane COBRA premiums are $350 per month, so JUST for the chemo ( forget the ER, the surgery, the dozens of other doctors I've seen for related stuff ) - Just the chemo, I'd have to pay insane COBRA premiums for almost 11 years in order for the insurance company to break even.

Thank goodness they kick you out after 18 months.

Any guesses why it's taking so long to process my COBRA application? ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home