Monday, April 04, 2005

The Chemo Ward

The Chemo Ward was great! It was a hospital with no rules - basically the staff knows that everyone in there feels about as crappy as a person can feel all the time, so if there's any time that you don't feel crappy, you can do whatever you want. You can walk all over the place whenever you like, you can eat whatever you like, visitor hours? That's for the wussy ICU - you can have them whenever you like! This whole "whatever" policy really worked out well for me, however the downside is that while you're in the hospital for things related to chemo, you don't feel like doing anything - you feel like complete crap. If you don't feel like crap, you're either sleeping or vomiting.

Wednesday, I pretty much slept and recovered from my ER trip. Mom stayed with me all day and Dave came over to visit. Stacy came back to see me around dinner time and Mom and Dave left. Early night - I was beat up pretty bad.

On Thursday I woke up and had a wonderful breakfast. My Brother came and visited me with his girlfriend, Leslie - she's had some health problems of her own going on, and she's doing very well now. It was great to visit with them for an hour or so. I was feeling a little better and wanted to talk to friends and family - I even organized a card game for after dinner that evening with a few of you. But I got very nauseous after dinner and had to have an injection to make me feel better, and that injection made very tired and spacy - so the card game had to be cancelled and it was very last minute notice - sorry again guys...

Friday I felt pretty good and I was in the routine. Stacy and I decided to have "Stacy and Bill's Big Hospital Day of Fun!". We went walking all over the hospital. We explored the gift shop which had what every sick person needs, a new faux-antique console table! WTF? They did not have an "I survived Piedmont ER" ring t-shirt, for which I would have easily paid 20 bucks. We found the basement cafe where Stacy got a Starbucks and I got nauseuated from the numerous smells from everything. We made our way throught the operations and maintence bowels and walked all over the hospital and ended up at the library where I found some much needed internet access. After checking a few email accounts and making sure banking stuff was doing OK, we retreated to the room - enough exercise was enough. Drew and Debs came over and visited for a while - good to see friendly faces at that point, I was ready to go feel normal again. Stacy stayed late with me in the hospital - I was pretty down - she held me in my bed until I fell asleep - I gotta tell you, it was some much-needed snuggling.

Saturday morning came and went - we were just waiting for my Doc to come in and sign the discharge order. The Nurses continued to try to give me more of my scheduled IV antibiotics, but I wouldn't have it - I wanted to get out. Finally around 1:30, I was discharged and Stacy and I came home. I had to lay down almost immediately - weak from the car ride if you can believe it.

It had been 4 nights and a bunch of pain since I had been home. Meow meow greeted me with many saved-up purrs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home