Monday, April 04, 2005

Hospital Systems Design Comments

Observations from the inside:

The patient reporting system allowed for vitals only every 4 hours. So my temp changes couldn't be recorded as they happened, and I had to write on the whiteboard in my room myself when my temperature was high! In fact, since they couldn't record it, the Nurses didn't come by unless I called, so I ended up taking my own temp and logging it myself! The Nurses would then add my notes to their notes, but the Docs wouldn't read their notes! They couldn't take the time to look beyond the 'puter screen - so then I had to take time to tell Doc myself!

The wireless devices that the Nurses use for tracking meds didn't give enough info to different departments. For instance, the Doc couldn't see how often i had taken what! Again, I had to inform the Doc every day of what had actually transpired!

The Nurse call system only alerts the charge desk. After a patient presses the intercom button in their room, they tell the charge desk the problem and the charge nurse makes a second call over the intercoms that goes out to all rooms looking for the assigned nurse to the patientes room! Pointless! No update to the patient in the room occurs, and there isn't any accountabiliity to the charge nurse desk, the patient ends up calling again, and a second nurse find call occurs because nobody knows what's going on and the patient is left asking what happened!

These are the frusterations of chemo ward...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home