Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Cancer and a Life Philosophy

I've been working on a life philosophy throughout my treatment and I think it's time to share it, this being the day after the best day of my life. I think that going through and beating Cancer has to change your outlook on life. To be honest, I'm still not sure what I think about all of this stuff. But that's OK, because I'm not done with the war yet - and with the news that I got yesterday, I've got a long lifetime left to ponder my existence.

For right now though, I think that there are two schools of thought to this whole terminal illness thing. I think that you come out of something like this with one of three basic ideas, detailed below:

1) LIFE IS SHORT. I could go at any time, and there aren't any guarantees. Screw retirement plans and long-term investments. Forget about health and longevity. If I want to do something, I'm doing - up to and including things that might even be bad for me or illegal - I don't have time to make sure it's OK long term! I'm going on the vacation of a lifetime every year from here on out - I could be gone at any given time.

2) LIFE IS PRECIOUS. I need to do everything that I can do to extend it. I need to take the best care of myself that I can. I should be exercising and eating the best things possible. I should be getting the latest tests from my Doctor. I can't do anything that's bad for my body. Forget about doing anything risky too - I need to save for that next rainy day that will come, because my life is fragile. I can't go on the vacation of a lifetime - I'd rather save that money in case I need it for treatment later on. I must prolong my life as much as I can.

3) Some combination of the above two ideas.

I hope to land somewhere on the third idea. I don't like to be on any extreme level - I try to be a middle-of-the-road guy. I'm pretty impartial on most issues.

Abortion? I'm not a woman - seems like a woman should have a choice with her own body.

National Deficit? I'd like to see our country have as much in the bank as we need, but as long as confidence in the dollar is reasonable high - utilize your credit - just don't go nuts like a college kid.

Gay Marriage? What do I care? I'm glad you're in love - is it gonna cost me anything? Even better.

Life is short and life is precious. It's too short to waste. It's too precious to waste. There must be a middle ground - I intend to find it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home