Tuesday, April 05, 2005

The Incredibles

My Friends are Incredible.

I've gained a new appreciation for life in general going through this, but I'd like to write about my friends for a second. I've heard that you really find out who your true friends are when you go through something serious and bad. I know a hundred people who would go have a beer with me and celebrate greatness - how many do I know that would hold me while I'm sobbing?

Turns out that I know many.

My friends have helped me through this in ways that I'm not sure I can ever tell them about. I have the best friends in the world.

I will not name names - they know who they are. The ones who have stood out from the pack and gone above and beyond. It's not that they've done anything that sacrificial either. They've just stopped their lives for a short time to help me and comfort me. They've brought us food so that we could rest. They've given us inspirational and helpful gifts. They've taken time to ask for updates and they've prayed for me.

I'm a very independent person. I hate the idea of charity unto myself. There are people in the world who can't feed their children - go help them. I'm upper middle-class and I'm one of the few people who recognize how extraordinarily lucky I am to be where I am in life. I know that my life is rich in many ways. German car rich, not Italian car rich - Virginia Highlands rich, not Druid Hills rich - but rich all the same...

A wise man once told me to expect the best and prepare for the worst and that's how I've tried to live my life - this is my rainy day, and I'm lucky enough to have had the foresight to prepare for it. I'm not going to loose my house over this. I'm going to be financially OK once all of this is over. Sure, I'll have to build up the reserves again, but there are people in the world who live paycheck to paycheck - some of you reading this live that way - think about what you would have to do if you got sick like I got sick. Many people go bankrupt. If my condition worsens, I could still go bankrupt - even with all my preparation. Please take the time to think long and hard about that - a little planning could save your family a lot of trouble.

I've had two friends approach me about finances throughout this. My family has as well - another blessing to count, but it's different. I don't want to say that you expect your family to be there, but it seems to be part of the job. Friends on the other hand aren't required to assist you in your money woes. Two of mine did. And not only was I lucky enough to have two friends who volunteered to have that difficult conversation, they represent many more friends who have discussed my situation together. I have friends who take the time to stop their lives and work through my problems and offer up solutions - that's incredible.

I dare say that next to my relationship with Stacy, that's my greatest treasure in life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home