Monday, April 11, 2005

What Fatigue Feels Like...

Stacy asked me yesterday what my thoughts were going into chemo - without hesitation I said that I just wanted to know how it would feel. You read about bad fatigue when you read about chemo. What does that mean? I'm sure it feels different to everyone, and some people are effected more than others, but I think I'm qualified to try to explain how I've felt so far.

Fatigue, to me, feels like 3am tiredness - the sort of tiredness that makes you say "oh man, why am I still awake?". It's a like overdoing a workout at the gym minus the specific muscle pain - you're way tired.

Also, it doesn't come at the same time every day. One night you might crash at 8:30 and the next you might be up until midnight. It will hit you all of a sudden too, and no amount of cold water to the face or caffeine to the body will help - you will just need to rest.

Because of this, I don't drive myself to chemo. I don't drive at all during my tough weeks - because of the nausea and the fatigue - they can both sneak up on you quick. I try to stay close to home - even when I'm feeling OK enough to go out, I keep the trips close to home and quick, just in case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home