Monday, May 09, 2005

Force Feeding and Bed Rest

It's Tuesday - and I'm up and out of bed for a few hours at a time today. I still have all the anxiety and my ears are ringing pretty bad, but I'm able to walk around the house and cook and do simple tasks like that now - woo hoo!

I've been taking it real easy ( not by choice ) since my last chemo treatment last Friday, and I wanted to talk a little about my get-better-quicker strategy. It ain't pretty, but it might help someone out there so here goes...

Sleep as much as you can. Sleep and bed rest help so much. You do have to get up though - I'm not sure if they qualify as official bed sores, but you will start hurting after laying in bed for a day - so even though it's hard, make yourself get up and sit in a chair or on the couch for a little bit. That breaks up the day too ;).

I've been very queesy lately - to the point where I've been taking compezine for anti-nauseua almost constantly since my last treatment. When you feel that way, the last thing you want to do is eat. I've taken the exact opposite stance and I've eaten as much as I can. I feel better sooner when I fuel myself, so I've stomached the uncomfortable feelings and so far I've been able to push through the sickness without incident. For me, it helps. BONUS: It makes you feel normal if you eat normal sized meals. Also, after loosing a little chemo weight, Stacy is letting me eat all the ice cream i want.

The pain in my arms from my veins is very distracting, and I'm not sure if there's any way to ignore it, but it's already starting to subside, and the bruises are going down - so I guess my advice is to remain patient and understand that the damage won't be undone overnight. I never tried any cold compresses or anything, though that may have well been a good idea.

The marks on my shoulders from the Bleomycin are still there in force and they look horrible, but they don't hurt so I'm not too worried about them. My blisters are all healing and don't hurt either. I'm starting to notice a few - and i mean a few dozen - hairs growing on my beard. I can feel them when I run my fingers against the grain. Nothing near a recovery, but it's something new anyway. Hair topside is scruffy, but still notibly thin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home