Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Grandparent Update

Both of my Grandfather's underwent surgery last Tuesday. I've now spoken with them both, and they are in great spirits and feeling better every day. My Father's Father ( Big Daddy ) had a minor procedure which I expected him to bounce right back from - still it's always good news for a person in their 70's. My Mother's Father ( Grampy ) had open heart surgery to replace his aortic valve. That invloves stopping the lungs and heart during the procedure, then restarting them afterwards. Needless to say, we were all very hopeful and worried.

I spoke with him last night and he sounds ten years younger. He's still hospitalized this week, but will be going home today and with some help around the house, he'll be moving around on his own in just a few weeks - about the same time I'll be moving around consistantly again! He had his typical "zest for life" in his voice again - I can't explain it on paper, but you could tell he felt better just by hearing him speak. He was laughing and making jokes and wishing me well in finishing my battle. It's it amazing what the surgens are capable of these days?

Being the first-born of my generation, I'm lucky enough to be old enough to begin to understand the dynamic of multi-generation family by getting to know my Grandparents at an adult level. Talking about the great depression and WWII and having a drink with your grandfather is priceless. Understanding the tough times that your family has been through really helps me understand how lucky we truely are today. And hearing Grampy's voice sound so much like I remember it instead of the slow sad decline for the past few years - it's like a relief coming off your shoulders that you really didn't even know you were bearing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home