Monday, April 11, 2005

Week seven - back in the chair

We had a great weekend. Visiting my Sister in Athens on Friday and Saturday was awesome! Stacy and I met with the man who's going to marry us, Rabbi Gerson, on Friday. We had to delay our meeting with him due to some ironic tummy troubles from Stacy instead of me! Luckily, he was able to rearrange his schedule and we were able to have a very productive almost 2 hours of conversation. He has a very nice temple right inside Athens - reminds me of our family church growing up. He's a very open and compassionate man, and he seems to already understand that we recognize our marriage as a Godly commitment and want to convey that in our ceremony. I have a very good feeling about it. Incidentally, Rabbi Gerson will also be marrying David and Allison a few months before us - that's how we got in touch with him.

We walked all over downtown Athens on Saturday morning and had a great breakfast there and did some shopping. Getting to travel a little was great, even if it was just an hour away. Saturday night, we had a great dinner at The Buchters', and played some games for a while - good fun. On Sunday, I took Stacy out to a nice brunch on the scooter, and then we checked out the Dogwood Festival at Piedmont Park - it was a perfect day - 70 degrees and clear. We got lots of walking around in and some resting in the shade with the familiar Piedmont crew. I made a simple hamburger dinner and Stacy and I watched our Sunday night shows and relaxed a little. It was a great weekend.

And now I'm back in the chair.

I'm not looking forward to feeling bad again - I really really liked feeling normal this weekend. But, I'm counting the days down now - we're at week seven out of twelve - more than half-way there. I wish that I wasn't counting - it's too far away to get excited about. Numbers look good today, WBC over 6K, and I should be getting a booster in the next few days to keep those numbers high. Because of that, I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll get through the next two weeks without an ER visit.

It's a weird feeling coming back here and getting hooked up after feeling back to normal. I'm able to feel when the bad stuff is going into me - that might just be because my veins are so much more bad off from the hospital stay still. I don't want any more IV's - I feel like I've had enough at this point. It's a necessary evil, I know.

The TV in the chemo room is tuned to the history channel - they're showing a documentary on some Allied Air Force prisoners of war who were incarcerated in concentration camps. Nothing like brutal POW treatment to cheer up some cancer patients. I'm guessing the point is that life could be a lot worse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home