Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Waking up NOT in the ER...

It's Wednesday morning after my long week and I woke up in my own bed, NOT in the ER! It's an awesome feeling to not have an IV in. To not have 20 different people poking and prodding me every hour. To cook my own breakfast and eat it at my own desk. It's the simple things in life...

This is week 8 - and it's a special one. Week 8 is the second week in my third three-week block. It's on these second weeks that I hurt the most, because it's when the chemo from the hard week, the first week, really catches up to me and starts to take it's full toll. Week 2, week 5, this week - week 8, and week 11 are all second weeks in my blocks.

On week 2, I had problems breathing and went to the ER and got shot full of Morphine and Toridol. On Week 5 I had the 104 temps and went to the ER and ended up doing 4 nights in the chemo ward. This morning I'm drinking apple juice and looking out the window at some incredible blue sky and listening to the birds sing.

I like week 8 better than 2 or 5.

Aside from any ER-required complications, I'm feeling slightly better than I normally do on these weeks. The key difference has been sleep. I've been very tired and slept most of Monday and Tuesday. On weeks 2 and 5, I wasn't tired - I was awake and fatigued.

This morning I woke up and felt semi-normal and rested. I have some tightness in my chest, but nothing to worry about. I have some discoloration on my shoulders - they are a light grey-green color and splotchy - I've been told it's just a side-effect and will go away after treatment - still scary looking though. I have had a medium toothache for the past 12 hours - this is new - and it's bothering me a little. I've called it in to the nurses and if it stays with me for another 24 hours, I'll have to go to the dentist. I think it's sinus related though, because if I press on my right molars I can alleviate some of the pressure and I hear a little pop like when you're on an airplane. I've dosed up on ibuprofen and psudoephedrine to help me through it. I've also had some tummy cramps in the past 12 hours, most likely related to some chai tea that I had 2 cups of last night - first caffeine I've had in a while - I must say, not worth it.

On the plus side, I've felt up to getting some paperwork done this morning. All of my healthcare bills are now in order and paid up. I have my retirement accounts transfer process rolling from my old employer. I even paid my COBRA payment this morning. I still can't believe they make you write a physical check and mail it in. My desk is still a mess, but I tied up a bunch of loose ends this morning - all those little things bother get to you after a while - it's good to have them done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home