Monday, April 18, 2005

WBC Hits 20,000!

It's the Monday after my hard week - normally when Stacy has to drag me to chemo for my Bleomycin shot. While I'm far from chipper, I'm much more active than I normally am on Monday - but I'm still hurting. I slept in this morning, getting up to make an omlette and then returning to bed, and took it easy until my 2:30 appointment.

Once there, they took a blood sample and we waited for the moment of truth - how was I doing with the booster shot that was supposed to keep me out of the ER this week...

My white blood cell count is at 20,000! Normal range is between 4 and 11k. This is a very inflated number, and it's only this high because of the booster shot I got last Friday. In fact, the number is so high that normally it indicates a problem. Basically for me all this means is that the booster worked like it was supposed to - and the numbers will level out eventually.

I knew it before they told me, but it was still reassuring to hear. Nurse Stephanie gave up a high five, shot me full of Bleo, and sent me on my way. I'm tired and still recovering, but I'm pretty confident that I'll be sleeping in my own bed this week, and that's enough for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home